Prince Harry says he wants his father and brother ‘back’ and to be part of ‘family not an institution’

UK

Prince Harry has said “I would like to get my father back. I would like to have my brother back” in the release of a trailer for an upcoming TV interview.

The Duke of Sussex also says “I want a family, not an institution” and “they’ve shown absolutely no willingness to reconcile”.

In a series of clips released by ITV, which is airing the interview on 8 January, Harry says, “It never needed to be this way” and refers to “the leaking and the planting”.

He also says “they feel as though it is better to keep us somehow as the villains”.

“I would like to get my father back. I would like to get my brother back.”

ITV will broadcast an interview with Prince Harry next Sunday in which he will talk to journalist Tom Bradby about his personal relationships, the death of his mother, Diana, and a look ahead at his future.

The programme will be shown two days before Harry’s autobiography Spare is published on 10 January.

An interview with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes will also air on 8 January.

In a clip from the interview released on Monday morning, Harry says “silence is betrayal” over the alleged failure of Buckingham Palace to defend him and his wife Meghan Markle before they stepped down as senior royals.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Silence is betrayal’ – Harry talks to CBS

He adds he has tried to keep his conversations with the Royal Family private, but to combat stories in the tabloids he had been forced to make his concerns public.

“Every single time I’ve tried to do it privately, there have been briefings and leakings and planting of stories against me and my wife.

“You know, the family motto is never complain, never explain, but it’s just a motto.”

Read more:
What to expect from Harry’s autobiography, Spare
Sussexes to present ‘Mandela-inspired’ documentary

Harry explains how these “briefings and leakings” happen: “They will feed or have a conversation with the correspondent.

“And that correspondent will literally be spoon-fed information and write the story. And at the bottom of it they will say that they’ve reached out to Buckingham Palace for comment. But the whole story is Buckingham Palace commenting.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

“So when we’re being told for the last six years, ‘We can’t put a statement out to protect you.’ But you do it for other members of the family. It becomes – there becomes a point when silence is betrayal.”

Articles You May Like

Hunt to dismiss economic ‘gloom’ as pressure builds from Tories over tax cuts
Archbishops call for ‘radical redesign’ of England’s ‘broken’ care system
‘Latex-laden and ludicrous’: Tom Hanks gets three Razzie nods as Blonde leads the field
Sunak orders investigation into Zahawi amid calls to sack him
‘We called each other Sissie’: Sarah, Duchess of York and Axl Rose pay tribute to Lisa Marie Presley